Thursday, April 14, 2011

Lnz's Blueberry Bread

I have been experimenting with this recipe for a while trying to get it just right.  Jay LOVES blueberries, but I get tired of making muffins or pancakes for him, so this gives me a very yummy alternative.  It is pretty easy to make, but I have to double the amount of blueberries I use because by the time I go to use them in the recipe, Jay has already downed half of them!  :0) 

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup butter--melted
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk (or you can add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to a cup of regular milk to make sour milk instead)
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups flour (I like to do half whole wheat flour and half regular flour)
1 1/2 cups blueberries, you can use fresh or frozen

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 and grease two 8x4 inch loaf pans.  I like to cut a piece of waxed paper to fit into the very bottom of my pans because they tend to stick. 
Mix ingredients in order, mixing each as you add it. 
Pour into your loaf pans, and spread out evenly.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. 
Then turn your oven off, but leave the bread in there for another 10 minutes.
Remove from oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes and remove from pans to finish cooling.

Ha ha this recipe makes me want to plant blueberry bushes in our yard!  Luckily, they have been on sale the past few times I have gone to the store.  This bread is definitely yummy, and I hope you enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment