Monday, October 25, 2010

Taco Seasoning Spice Blend

Several years ago, I started cooking the ground beef for tacos and realized that I did not have one of those lovely little spice packets to season it with.  Oops! 

I did a quick google search and found a recipe very similar to this one.  I realized how much less expensive it was to make my own spice blend, and it was SO great to be able to customize it to our tastes!  I haven't bought one of those little spice packets since! 

I make up a batch of this and keep it in a jar in my spice rack.  Then whenever I go to make tacos, or any sort of Mexican food, I can add as little or as much of this as I need.  We are spice weenies, so if you prefer spicier foods, add in a couple of teaspoons of red pepper flakes, or ground red pepper.   

Ingredients:
6 Teaspoons of Onion Powder (or you can omit this and just cook with fresh onions instead)
4 Teaspoons of Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon of Dried Oregano
3 to 4 Teaspoons of Salt
1 Teaspoon of Cornstarch
2 to 3 Teaspoons of Garlic Powder
2 Teaspoons of ground Cumin

Directions:
Pour all contents into a jar or Tupperware dish with a tight fitting lid.  Shake well.  I use about 1/4 of this mix when I make tacos, so I would say that this recipe is equivalent to four of those little packets that you buy in the store.  Before you use the spice blend, just give the jar a little shake to make sure that the spices are still well mixed, and you are ready to go.  I put mine in a jar with a shaker lid, so I just shake on as much as I need. 

Enjoy! 

I am linking up to Thrifty Home's Penny Pinching Party today!  Be sure to go check out her blog for some wonderful ideas!!


http://www.thethriftyhome.com

No comments:

Post a Comment