Sunday, October 24, 2010

'I' is for Ice Cream

Whew, I have to admit that I am all helicoptered out after last week.  But I hope you had lots of fun learning the letter 'H!'   Jay and I will actually be taking a break this week, but I wanted to go ahead and get the lesson plan up for everyone else.  We will either play catch up and do two weeks in one, or we'll just stay a week behind, both of which will work out fine!  And if you and your kiddo would like to take a week off, you can do that too.  :0)

This week we will cover:
The letter 'I'
'I' is for Ice cream
The color Orange
The number 9
Hexagons
More and Less

Monday:  The Letter 'I'
-color a Letter 'I' coloring page
-while you are coloring, watch this, this, this, this, and this
-have your kiddo trace the Letter 'I' on their coloring page with their finger
-glue your coloring page to a piece of orange coloring paper and hang it on the wall
-go through the Letter 'I' section of starfall
-make a set of Letter 'I' memory cards (one with the Letter 'I' on it, and the other with a picture of Ice cream on it)
-play 'I' Spy the Letter 'I' (look in books, magazines, or around the house for the Letter 'I')
-sing your ABC's

Tuesday:  'I' is for Ice Cream
-color an Ice Cream coloring page
-while you are coloring, watch this and this
-glue your coloring page to a piece of orange construction paper and hang it on the wall
-Play Dough Ice Cream Parlor (roll play dough into balls and put them into a plastic container.  Let your kiddo use your ice cream scoop to scoop out the "ice cream."  Use your play dough to make all sorts of ice cream concoctions like, ice cream cones, sundaes, banana splits, etc)
-talk about ice cream (What is it?  How is it made?  What is your favorite flavor? )
-make ice cream (if you have an ice cream maker, use that, or try this fun coffee can method.  You can use tupperware dishes instead of the coffee cans, and I have even heard of some people using ziploc bags.)
-work this fun online Ice Cream puzzle 
-sing this Letter 'I' song

Wednesday:  Ice Cream Day
-go to your favorite local Ice Cream store and enjoy some yummy Ice Cream!  (We have a store by us that is train themed, so I can't wait to take Jay there!!  :0) )

Thursday:  the Number 9
-color a Number 9 coloring page
-while you are coloring, watch this, this, this, and this
-have your kiddo trace the Number 9 on their coloring page with their finger
-glue your coloring page to a piece of orange construction paper and hang it on the wall
-make a set of Number 9 memory cards (one with the Number 9 on it, and the other with 9 stickers on it)
-9 flavors of Ice Cream (use construction paper to make an ice cream cone with 9 flavors (aka colors) of Ice Cream on it.  You can even use glitter to add "sprinkles" to it!)
-do this cute connect the dots worksheet
-talk about More verses Less (Use cars, or blocks, or something concrete for your examples.  Show your kiddo two groups of items and talk about which group has more in it, and which group has less in it.  Take away a few of the items from the group that has more...now which of your two groups has more?  etc)   

Friday:  Hexagons
-color a Hexagon coloring page
-while coloring, watch this, and this
-have your kiddo trace the Hexagon with their finger and count the sides of the Hexagon
-glue your coloring page to a piece of orange construction paper and hang it on the wall
-make a set of Hexagon memory cards (they should both have Hexagons on them)
-talk about Hexagons (they look kind of like Octagons, but they have fewer sides...this is a great opportunity to talk about More verses Less again)
-use pipe cleaners to make a Hexagon
-do this More verses Less worksheet
-play this online More verses Less game

I hope you guys have fun this week!! If you have missed a previous week, you can find it here, and be sure to check back next week for 'J' is for Jack-O-Lantern!

No comments:

Post a Comment