Friday, October 22, 2010

English Muffin Bread

I tried this recipe today, and I have to say that I am quite impressed!  English muffins are getting more and more expensive to buy, but I really love the texture and flavor of them.  Plus, they are great to make little mini pizzas or sandwiches on.  So when I saw this recipe, I had to give it a try.

Ingredients:
6 cups flour
2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups milk
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons salt
cornmeal

Directions
Combine flour, yeast, sugar, salt and soda in a large bowl.
Heat together milk and water until very warm (120 - 130 degrees).
Add dry ingredients to milk mixture and beat well.
Spoon into 2 loaf pans that have been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal.
Sprinkle cornmeal on top.
Cover and let stand in warm place for 45 minutes.
Bake at 400 for 25 minutes.

The texture is a little bit more dense than the muffins I usually buy in the store, but it was still pretty darn good.  Jay and I tried it warm right out of the oven.  :0)



1 comment:

  1. My mother-in-law introduced me to this recipe a few months ago and I absolutely love it! It is so delicious and so fast and so easy! The texture is absolutely amazing! I make it all the time to go with soup. It is best right out of the oven with butter and honey! YUM!!! The only thing I would say is that to me it's not the greatest the day after. So I just use it as toast. I love toast so that is wonderful for me and I am excited every time I make it! It is great bread!

    ReplyDelete