Thursday, March 17, 2011

Caramel Glazed Flan

Have you ever had Flan?  It is a sweet custard like dessert that my uncle's mom, who I affectionately called Abuela, made all the time for my family when I was growing up.  Ha ha and while I have fond memories of it...I have never actually liked the taste of Flan.  But everyone else in my family LOVES it, so I have learned to make it over the years.  :0)  It takes a little bit of work, but from what I hear, the end result is greatness. 

Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
6 egg whites
1 3/4 cups water
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 pinch of salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
In a skillet over medium-low heat, cook and stir the sugar until it is melted and light brown.
Pour the melted sugar into a 9 inch round baking dish.
Tilt the dish to coat the bottom completely with the melted sugar.
In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks and whites, then stir in the water, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and salt.
Stir until smooth.
Pour into the round baking dish.
Line a roasting pan with a damp towel and place the round baking dish on top of the towel.  Place raosting dish on oven rack and then full the roasting pan with boiling water until the water is about half way up your round baking dish.
Bake 1 hour or until the center is set, but still a bit jiggly.
Remove dish to a wire rack and cool for one hour.
Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
To unmold, run a knife around the edge of the baking dish and then invert it onto a rimmed serving platter.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment