Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cream of Mushroom Soup

I have started using this recipe in place of the store bought stuff in the can.  It has such a wonderful fresh taste, and it freezes well.  I usually make up a double batch, which makes 4 jars, and freeze them for when I need them for a recipe.  I have also used canned and fresh mushrooms and they both work just fine.  It takes a little bit of extra work, but to me, the taste makes it more than worth it!  :0)

Ingredients:
8 oz mushrooms
2 tablespoons onions--diced (or you can use onion powder, which is usually what I do)
1 to 2 garlic cloves--minced
2 tablespoons butter (I like to use half butter and half olive oil)
3 tablespoons flour--divided
2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup evaporated milk (I have also used cream and it works just as well)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (it sounds odd, but trust me, it works!)

Directions:
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium low heat.
Add in onions and mushrooms.  Cook until the onions are translucent, about 2 minutes.
Add in 2 tablespoons of flour and whisk to make sure there are no lumps of flour.
Slowly add in the broth, whisking to make sure there are no lumps.
Add 1 tablespoon of the flour into the evaporated milk and stir to combine.  Then slowly whisk the milk mixture into the broth mixture. 
Stir in the seasonings. 
Bring to a boil and cook until it starts to thicken. 
Divide into 4 servings and store in the freezer until you are ready to use.

This soup is so much better than the canned stuff!  It tastes better, and is so much healthier.  Try it once and you'll be hooked!  :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment