Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cream Soup Replacement

I am by no means a health fanatic, but I do try to avoid certain things, and over processed foods are high on my list.  They typically contain way too much salt, and a bunch of ingredients that I can't even pronounce, let alone tell you what they actually are. 
I also love my crock pot...and I seriously use it at least once a week.  But finding recipes that are not full of all sorts of processed junk can be nearly impossible to do!! 
This recipe replaces store bought "Cream of Whatever" soups.  I keep one container of this in my pantry and when a recipe calls for a can of "Cream of Whatever" soup, I use this instead!  It is much healthier, and also less expensive than the gelatinous blobs of over salted and over processed "soup" you scrape out of cans from the store...

Ingredients:
-1 cup powdered milk
-3/4 cup cornstarch
-2 tablespoons onion powder
-1 teaspoon basil
-1 teaspoon thyme
-1/2 teaspoon pepper
-chicken, vegetable, or beef stock (for when you use this mix in a recipe)

Directions:
-Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container

To Use In A Recipe:
-1/3 cup of dry mix
-1 1/4 cups of chicken, vegetable, or beef stock
-Combine ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. 
-Cook until it has thickened up
**If a recipe calls for cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup, I use vegetable broth and diced celery or mushrooms.  Just cook the celery or mushrooms when you cook the soup.
-this makes the equivalent of one 10 3/4 oz can of "Cream of Whatever" soup.

One batch of this will make the equivalent of 9 cans of soup.  :0) 

  

3 comments:

  1. Looks interesting, Lindsey. I will have to try this one. Does it taste the same?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this! This recipe came at the perfect time for me. I've been searching for low sodium varieties of canned items and having a very hard time doing it! Thanks, Linds!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fox, it does not taste exactly the same, but I think it is close enough. And I like being able to tweak the flavor of the soup mixture to match the dish I am making. I have not tried in it a casserole yet, only in crock pot recipes. Also, make sure that you use a good quality of powdered milk. You wouldn't think that it would matter, but it does!

    ReplyDelete