Saturday, November 6, 2010

Add some Fun To Store Bought Curtains

I bought two packages of these plain white curtain panels for like $10 a package. My original plan was to use them in our spare bedroom...


But when I found my inspiration fabric for our living room, I decided to go another route with them.  I added about 15 inches of fabric to the bottom of them, and now they really are a fun addition to our living room!  And I am a big fan of the fact that when I decide to change up our living room, I can easily take the current fabric off of them and switch it to something else!  Fun huh!?

Anywho, here is how I did it:

Figure out how many inches of fabric you want to add to your curtains.  In my case, I wanted to add 15 inches.  My curtains were 80 inches wide.  So I cut my fabric into approximately 19x84 inch sections--I like to leave myself a lot of extra room because I am still SO new to sewing.  

My curtains were tab top curtains, but I wanted a solid top...so I just flipped them over.  The bottom hem was large enough for my curtain rod, so it was really easy to do.  But when you look at these pictures, you will see the curtain tabs sticking out here and there...just ignore them!  :0)  

Pin the wrong side of your fabric to the wrong side of the bottom of your store bought curtain.  I used two rows of pins in mine just to be on the safe side.  Then sew a straight seam across your fabric.  This will attatch your fabric to your original curtain.      

On the back side of your fabric, measure from the seam you just sewed, down your fabric, to the length you need to add to your curtains and make a mark.  You are measuring to what will be the bottom of your new curtain.  Do this every few inches all the way across your fabric. 

Fold over the bottom of your fabric and iron a crisp line where you want the bottom of your curtain to be.  I am sure you could pin it too...but this way works better for me.  :0)  Then just sew a seam all the way across the folded up section that you just made.  This will be the bottom of your curtain. 

For the sides of your curtain, fold your fabric over the edge of the original curtain fabric.  Iron the fabric to create an edge that matches up to the original curtain fabric.  This will ensure that the transition from your store bought curtain to the fabric you add is seamless. 

Sew a straight seam, starting at the bottom of your fabric addition and ending where the fabric meets the original curtain:

Iron your new curtain panels and you are good to go:

I love the way mine turned out!  I think I might use this same idea, with different fabric, in our sunroom!  Ha ha that is if I ever manage to get our living room completed...  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment