Thursday, February 3, 2011

Easy Hot Chocolate Mix


With a winter ice storm upon us, we have been drinking a lot of hot chocolate, but after the first day of being snow bound, we ran out of out store bought mix!  Uh oh!!  So while Jay and The Hubbs played in the snow ice, I searched the Internet to find a hot chocolate mix recipe we could try.  Most of the recipes I found all had the same ingredients:  dry milk, cocoa powder, and sugar.  Easy Peasy!  So I threw together this recipe, and we have been drinking it all week!

Ingredients:
1 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup cocoa powder (plus a few extra spoon fulls for the chocoholic in me)
1/2 cup powdered sugar (again, I added a few extra spoon fulls to my mix)
1/4 teaspoon salt
vanilla (optional)

Directions:
put the powdered milk, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt into a glass jar or other resealable container.  Put the lid on the container and shake well to mix.  Store in a dry place.

To Make Hot Chocolate:
Add about 1/4 cup of the mix and a dash of vanilla to one cup of boiling water.  Stir to combine.  Top with marshmallows or whipped cream as desired.  :0)  Enjoy! 

I was pretty shocked by how easy this was to make, and it is definitely less expensive than the store bought mix!  I loved being able to use my own ingredients, and to know exactly what was in the mix.  And as far as taste, I actually prefer this to the store bought!!  You can make the flavors stronger or weaker to suit your tastes...which my my family means more cocoa powder.  Plus, I think that the ingredients I used were probably a of higher quality than the ones used in the store bought mixes.  I will make my own hot chocolate mix from now on for sure!!  It's quick, easy, and yummy!  :0)  

No comments:

Post a Comment