Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sweetened Condensed Milk

Have you ever gone to bake something, only to open your pantry and not be able to find one of those little cans of sweetened condensed milk!?  Well I have!  I found this recipe when I was in just such a bind, and have been using it ever since.  I have found that in recipes that I am not going to cook, I still prefer to real thing, but in anything that is being baked or cooked...this works great every time! 

Ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup and 2 tablespoons of powdered milk

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer until think--generally about 20 minutes

***Oh and just an FYI, this does NOT freeze well.  Ha ha so don't think you can make it ahead of time and just keep some in the freezer!*** 

***This recipe equals one can of sweetened condensed milk***

This recipe can really come in handy, and I really like that I can use organic ingredients.  It is pretty hard to find the canned stuff in an organic version where I live!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment